With the help of the drop-down list in MS Excel, you can greatly facilitate data entry. A drop-down list is really useful when it comes to restricting the number of options for a selection in web forms, surveys and surveys. Creating a drop-down list is possible in the MS Excel spreadsheet. By doing this, you can restrict a user from entering any other value and, therefore, force you to choose a value from the list that is indicated there.
However, the process for creating a drop-down list may not be clear to many of the users. If you are one of them, then we have your back. To help you, we have listed the detailed steps to create a drop-down list in MS Excel.
Steps to create a drop-down list in MS Excel
A drop-down list allows you to select an option from a certain list without having to type it. All you have to do is follow the steps outlined below and you will be ready with your drop-down list in no time. Here you go with the steps.
- First, open MS Excel on your computer or laptop. Well, that’s something very obvious to do.
- Now write the list somewhere in the spreadsheet. It is recommended that you write the list in alphabetical order in ascending order, as shown in the following image.
- In this step, you must select the complete list and give it a name. You must write your name in the box as shown in the image below.
- The next step is to select the cell in which you want to add the drop-down list. As for example, in the image, we have selected cell B2. In the same way, you can choose any other cell you want.
- Now go to the ‘Data’ option that you will see at the top of the page.
- Next, go to the ‘Data validation’ button. It may appear as two of the following.Or
- Once you click on that option, a dialog box will appear on your screen. What you have to do here is click on “Any value” and then choose the list.
- The next thing to do is enter the name of the list you have provided in the box labeled ‘Source’.
- Once you have finished, click on the “Accept” button.
There, you have your drop-down list ready. Therefore, you can see that creating a drop-down list in MS Excel is not a big deal if you know the steps correctly. Now that you are familiar with the steps, you can prepare as many drop-down lists as you wish by following the same steps indicated above. It’s really easy and anyone can do it. All this is important for you to learn especially if you work in an office because you never know when your boss asks you to prepare one of those drop-down lists.
I hope you like this article and have learned something new. Click Like, comment and share our articles if you really appreciate my work.
If you have any questions about this article, do not hesitate to ask me in the comments box below