Is DIY SEO possible?
Yes, and you can improve the traffic of your blog a bit!
And more traffic means more monetization opportunities, as well as more potential customers to work with.
So, to establish the most obvious thing, increasing the amount of traffic to your blog is a priority.
By using proper SEO techniques and tools, you can dramatically increase the visibility of your organic search.
The good news is that SEO is not rocket science. You do not have to hire an SEO consultant or pay for expensive tools. You can completely master DIY SEO at home and achieve long-term search visibility on a tight budget.
Disclaimer: I am not an SEO expert, but I have been using the following tools on a regular basis when producing content for clients and for me. So I know what they help me with and how to succeed, from my own experience.
What should I be looking for in SEO tools?
Unless you are a professional SEO consultant, the best criteria for choosing SEO software that you can focus on are
- Ease of use (you can understand how a tool works without additional training),
- Cheap and / or free software.
- Reliability! Stay away from fake promises and outdated SEO tips, such as keyword density metrics that can damage the quality of your content.
1. Google Tools: monitor your health SEO (FREE!)
Google offers the best for free and has its own set of optimization tools for small businesses and content marketers in the form of Google Analytics and Google Search Console (formerly, Google Webmaster Tools).
Google Analytics focuses solely on site-directed traffic and offers statistics on what methods work for this, sales and more. Everything is configured in a soft, minimalist and easy-to-read control panel.
Google Analytics can be quite intimidating when it comes to tracking targets and setting URL parameters, but if you’re just getting started, use the rule I followed:
- If I do not know what it means, keep going.
- Focus on what matters and learn everything else later
This helped me start with Google Analytics. Install the script (using one of these plugins). Give it a few days to accumulate the data and focus on this section:
Behavior -> Site Content -> All pages
This will help you identify your articles that are driving more traffic. You can use a filter to break down the topics and sections of the articles to better understand the most successful pages of your blog:
Google search console
The Google Search Console scans your website and alerts you to any errors you may have made in SEO specific to your website. By linking these two accounts, you can also add specific data to your website through Analytics.
My favorite section here is “Performance”. (This can only be found within the new design of the Search Console, I think it used to be “Search for traffic”)
Here, if you enable the “Average position” tab, you’ll see your best performing keywords on Google:
While it may not be the best of the line in SEO Marketing tools, the ease of use is definitely positive. Search Console and Analytics are also compatible with mobile devices, allowing you to work on the move.
2. Text Optimizer: Implement research on keyword topics and content optimization ($ 60 / m)
You’ve probably heard that you need to research and optimize the keywords to classify, right?
It is not simple. It is also necessary to know the subject well.
Fortunately, Google has moved away from the keywords that match the content to understand its relevance. And it’s good news for content marketers who want to focus on high-quality and in-depth content.
These days, Google understands the semantic relationships between words, related concepts and related topics. In other words, Google knows what should be included in a copy of the page to better satisfy the user’s query. Keyword research now includes intentional research, synonyms, related terms, and related terms.
That said, put aside the traditional keyword research tools you’re using now and try this tool.
Text Optimizer is a topic research tool that uses Google’s search results to give you clues about what should be included in a copy so it can be better classified.
The tool uses semantic analysis to create groups of topics and help you create better researched content that Google likes. It can be used to optimize your existing content, as well as to create content from scratch.
Let’s see how it works and how it can help:
- Let’s say you have an idea of general content
- Select a phrase that best describes the idea.
- Put the phrase in Text Optimizer
Now, select the option “Start from scratch”. The tool will search for this phrase in Google and will return with the list of terms and concepts that should be included in its content:
Select around 20 of those terms that look like they will fit well in your future article, then start working on your article. This is what I got for a “healthy life”, for example:
The tool also provides “Editorial Suggestions” that will probably be very useful to you. Those are popular questions about the subject you’re writing about:
Once you have finished with your content, rerun the tool (now choose the “My text” option). This will show you if your article is well optimized. Continue adjusting your copy until you get a minimum score of 80. Pay attention to the “Content Quality” section for better results:
In this way, this useful tool will direct your writing process allowing you to create better optimized copies of better quality.
A council of advice re. This and most of the other tools that analyze content, including Grammarly:
Sometimes, the machines do not understand the nuances. Always make sure that the suggested changes are seen directly in the eyes.
3. Yoast SEO: Get your structured data and important SEO elements in order (Freemium)
I’m a big fan of Yoast, and almost certainly at least you’ve heard about them in the past. This WordPress plugin guides you on the path to SEO excellence. You put a focus keyword, you write a meta description, you put the focus keyword in the bulk text and you let the add-on analyze how it works with basic SEO.
It will give you recommendations to further strengthen your SEO in the publication, turning green when you have reached the minimum for Google benefits. It will help you improve the readability and structure of your text by encouraging you to use shorter sentences and paragraphs, fewer words between subtitles, active voice, etc.
Yoast also contains a large number of updated sections that help you capture more Google ranking opportunities and optimize the latest SEO trends, including:
- Add bread crumbs (and use structured data for Google to adore them)
- Manage redirects (they are useful when you need to get rid of outdated content and send those users to more recent articles on the subject)
- Optimization for practical consultations (these are GOLD for writers)
- Managing content blocks
In addition, the add-on comes with a huge amount of SEO tutorials that guide you through complicated processes, explain the terminology of SEO and help you optimize your content better.
DIY bonus SEO Tools
- Cyfe: This tool is not an SEO tool, but it can be used to monitor your SEO success easily. Import your most essential Google Analytics statistics, the Google Search Console, your rank tracking tool, etc. Cyfe can save you a lot of time and turn complicated data into easy-to-understand graphics. It is an excellent multi-function tool, especially if you do not perform SEO 24/7 and just want to monitor your progress without spending hours going from a report to a report.
- Respond to the public: this site is a free tool that provides data for searches in popular search engines such as Google and Bing. This can help you optimize the keywords you choose to use on your site. This is also configured in a manner similar to a search engine, and the data is clearly displayed in a panel. It may be a really simple tool, but it can provide you with valuable information that allows your ranking to advance in leaps and bounds from where it started. It is also a great content inspiration tool for FAQ pages, lead magnets and even e-books.
- Detailed.com: Do you want to improve in SEO? Detailed sends you two emails a month with the best SEO techniques and tricks. This will not help you directly in your smaller market. But it will give you an idea of what makes these larger companies work and the strategies they use to stay on top. This can give you an active look at these strategies that are used without having to spend the money to see your competitors.
Do not underestimate the power of basic SEO actionable. By using DIY DIY tools when you optimize your content, move with the right foot and increase your chances of being found online!
I hope you like this article and have learned something new. Click Like, comment and share our articles if you really appreciate my work.
If you have any questions about this article, do not hesitate to ask me in the comments box below